- Kathie MacDuff - Biography
Kathie MacDuff is an artist, graphic designer, and journalist who captures her artistic passions within her signature program, Creative Journaling. For the past 27 years, she has been teaching creative journaling as well as courses in watercolour, mixed media, and a wide assortment of paper arts including book binding.
She is the Expressive Arts Team Lead at Wellspring Alberta where she’s been a regular facilitator offering many and varied courses over the past fourteen years in person and on Zoom.
She was a forerunner instructor with the Tom Baker Cancer Center leading to the establishment of their Medicine in Art initiative and was involved with a year-long research program with the Primary Care Network Pain Clinic studying the effects of creativity on pain and depression.
She facilitated classes at the Good Shepherd Art Studio in Calgary since its inception in 2006 to 2022 and is a regular guest instructor and speaker at many retreat and conference centres throughout Alberta and British Columbia. Most recently, she relocated to Sorrento Conference and Retreat Centre in British Columbia where she is the Associate Director, overseeing Expressive Arts programming amongst other things. She was happy to discover the Blind Bay Painters and has become a member.
Her vision is to facilitate creative experiences that encourage connections, validate emotions, and nourish the soul. She finds fulfillment of these goals thanks to the wonderful people she gets to hang out with!
- Tuesday January 30, 2024
- 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Creative Journaling: Exercising Intention (Tuesdays)
with Kathie MacDuff
Life unfolds in the present. So often, we let the present slip away, allowing time to rush past unobserved and unseized, and squandering the precious seconds of our lives as we worry about the future and ruminate about what’s past.
“We’re living in a world that contributes in a major way to mental fragmentation and distraction,” says Buddhist scholar B. Alan Wallace. “We’re always doing something, and we allow little time to practice stillness and calm.”
Join me me as we explore ways to be intentional in our living and in our creativity.
In Creative Journaling, a theme is presented and participants are invited to use words, imagery and a variety of mixed media techniques to unearth, explore and record their unique responses, thoughts and emotions. Participants are united in hope, support and camaraderie as they uncover their inherent creativity. A safe and creative space is born where negativity is banished leaving only room for meaningful connection, self-expression and healing.
Six Weeks – Online Zoom every Tuesday, January 30 – March 5, 2024
9:00 a.m.– 10:30 a.m. PST (10:00 – 11:30 a.m. MST)
The following is very detailed information about paying with a credit card through Sorrento’s Retreat and Conference Centre’s online booking system. Please don’t be overwhelmed, it is actually very easy once you’ve gone through it. Otherwise, please call 1–866–694–2409 and the office will be able to arrange an E-Transfer.
- Click the REGISTER NOW button above.
- Enter January 30 (the day the class begins) in the Arrival Date space (ignore the departure date).
- Record the number of adults you are registering.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page & Click on Program and scroll to Sorrento Centre Program-Expressive Arts and click on it; then click on Search. The class will show in Online Events (no need for accommodation), then select Book It.
- Complete the form if you’ve never taken a class from Sorrento OR fill in your name and email address and press Find and the program will complete the form for you. Click Continue and on Creative Journaling. You’ll click on Continue a few more times to bypass the meal option etc.
- At the bottom of the page is a tiny box to check which says, I have read and agree… (The $150 deposit does not apply here even though that is what it says). Click Continue and your next page contains an edit feature for you to make any corrections.
- Click Continue again to get to the Payment Information page and complete.
- Lastly, click Make Booking and you are done! Phew!